After three long days of motor-sailing, we were knackered by the time we dropped anchor in the Annapolis Boat Basin. Our final leg, most of which was in the Chesapeake Bay, would have been lovely under sail, but the wind was light and right on her nose and there was nothing else to do but burn the diesel and put up with the noise. The water was speckled with crab pots waiting to wreck havoc on our propeller. We took up watch posts, me to starboard and Brian to port, and we spent eight mind-numbing hours scanning the water while auto pilot kept us on course.
In spite of these minor inconveniences, it turned out that luck was on our side. Hours away from Annapolis, we were low on gas and debated making a detour to fuel up. Tired and demoralized, we made the dubious choice to push through, all the while watching the needle creep closer to E. Thankfully, there was no breakdown and I breathed a sigh of relief when the anchor caught in the chop and bounce of Annapolis Harbor. Ten minutes later, dark, evil clouds rolled overhead, and the sky opened up with more thunder, lightning, and wind than I’ve ever seen. We thanked our lucky stars twice – once for not running out of gas, and again for our risky decision not to deviate course, as we certainly would have been caught in that gnarly storm.
We’re all settling into life on the move and at anchor. I spent the last two days of the trip experimenting with solutions to help the pukey, incontinent, and spiteful siamese in our crew feel more calm while underway. The first day was a literal shit show, but I’ve discovered that if I can get him to lie down and go to sleep before conditions get too rough, he’s just fine. I set him up with a comfy little spot on the nav station bench, dropped a blanket over his head, and we enjoyed two days of puke and piss free sailing. We call him the NavCat 3000 while underway, because he’s tucked in with all of our instruments and gadgets.
We’ll be in Annapolis for a just under a week, taking care of errands, talking to equipment vendors and seeing friends at the Annapolis Boat Show, and waiting for favorable wind. We’re both happy to finally be free of dates dictating our schedule, and for now we are done with fire drill mornings and fourteen hour days with the motor running. Now the adventure can truly begin.
(travel on 10/8 – 10/9/2015)