Glenn is gone, it’s just Brian and me. Ready or not, there are 30 days left before we move into The Nest.

Here is where we are at:

  • Walls: 70% done. We need a few finishing touches- utility closet frames, a bathroom door…oh yeah, and the fourth wall of the apartment, which Brian basically pulled down last weekend while prepping for window installation. Turns out that the whole thing was rotten. Before we can finish the wall with insulation and siding, we must install the new windows (which should arrive next week) and the door (should arrive in a few more weeks). In the meantime, I’ve started the final coats of paint, which will be a whole lot easier to do now than after we move in.
  • Bathroom: 75% done. We installed the radiant heat in the floor, finished building the shower, installed drywall, and all of the tiles are in, grouted, and sealed. I am varnishing the vanity that will hold the sink, and Brian is putting the finishing touches on the shelving unit, which holds up the sink/vanity. To be 100% done, we’ll need to install the sink + toilet, put in the bar for the shower head, hook up lighting and outlets, and prime/paint the walls and ceiling. Most importantly, the plumbers need to turn on the water (it’s been too cold) and connect our drains to the system.
  • Floors: 50% done. Brian has built the channels for all three of the circuits for the radiant heat. The bathroom was a fun mini test for the project (we rushed to get the tile down), and we realized that it wasn’t as scary as we’d imagined, just a lot of steps. Once we add the foil and tubing to the radiant system apartment-wide, we can install the engineered hardwood flooring – that’s supposed to be coming in on tomorrow’s ferry.
  • Temporary kitchen: 10% done. We won’t have the time or money to tackle the kitchen this season, but we’ll need a place to prepare simple food before the restaurant kitchen is ready. Our answer is a temporary kitchen area for the apartment. I purchased a second hand kitchen sink that will sit on a 2×4 platform and Tom drilled the pilot hole for the drain today. Add a beer fridge, some metro shelving, and a prep table (all from the restaurant) et voila! Temporary kitchen solved.
  • Entryway, railing, and stairs: 0% done. Our living space must exist separate from the restaurant for our sanity, for privacy, to retain heat, and for health code standards. To accomplish this, we’ll build an alcove in the restaurant entryway with a door leading to the stairs. I’m keen on having a small landing at the bottom, as mud season has already arrived – a Maine reminder that its important it is to keep shoes far from your living space. We need to design and build this structure, in addition to resurfacing the stairs, and installing a cable railing around the stairwell so that dogs and humans don’t fall through what is currently a big open hole in the floor.

Clearly we have our work cut out for us. Now if you’ll excuse me…


The wall boards look amazing. Once they were all in place, I filled in every one of those nail holes, + sanded and filled the joints between boards, so each run looks as if it’s made of a single, long board. I’ve started applying the final topcoat to these walls.

Shot of the finished bathroom exterior. Since this photo was taken, Glenn finished the drywall inside the closets and bathroom.

We rushed to complete the bathroom part of the radiant heat circuit so we could get to tiling before Glenn left for Spain.

The day after Glenn left, we pulled out the windows and most of the far wall.

Glenn taught me all about tiling as I assisted him with every aspect of this project.

I also learned how showers are made (hint – TONS of cement and a PVC liner)

Late night sessions with Glenn working back-to-back in the tiny shower

Brian prepped the outer wall for the new windows

The inside the framing shows where the new windows and door will go.

One of three circuits for the radiant floor

I really like how the sealer brought out the cool natural colors in the slate tile, but the grout did not turn as dark as I’d hoped (it’s supposed to be black, but appears to be a much lighter gray.

We made the vanity for the bathroom sink out of boards we reclaimed from the attic floor. I’m almost done doing coats of varnish and am really happy with how it’s turned out.