an Agile approach to boat development

an Agile approach to boat development

This morning, my first official day of unemployment, Brian and I woke up early for a quick project review in the salon. It turns out that boat projects and software/curriculum development work pretty much the same way, and I’ll be looking forward to daily scrum for some much-needed structure and teamwork as I deal with workplace withdrawal. We’ve got a lot to do before we leave at the end of the month, and that list will surely grow before it starts shrinking.

Not that it’s been all sailing and happy hours for the last three months. We’ve been pretty good about fitting in after-hours projects, all summer long. Here is a photo summary of our top seven projects from the past three months:

  1. Repaint aft cabin

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.36.35 AM

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.36.53 AM

mildew close-up from aft cabin walls and ceiling – growing UNDER the latest coat of paint

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.37.29 AM

freshly painted aft cabin

2. Replace old throttle

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.24.50 AM

old throttle, dismembered

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.25.07 AM

new throttle

3. Replace old Ideal windlass with a new Lewmar windlass (the machinery that raises and lowers the anchor)

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.23.34 AM

old windlass, dismembered

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.20.47 AM

new windlass

4. New ground rigging (25 kg Rocna anchor and 250 ft of 3/8 inch steel chain)

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.27.29 AM

getting ready to mark 250 feet of 3/8 inch steel anchor chain

5. Galley sink replacement

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.21.41 AM

old galley sink that could barely contain one dish and inspired us to exercise the full extent of our expletive vocabularies on a nightly basis

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.22.09 AM

NYC taxi loaded with new sink and plate for frigoboat marine refrigerator

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.18.57 AM

new galley sink (new water filtration system not pictured)

6. Portlight shades project (still in progress)

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.20.30 AM

Brian working out a prototype for our new portlight covers

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.18.17 AM

7. Removing old name from the transom

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.19.32 AM

peeling the old vinyl name from the transom

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.19.51 AM

buffing to remove stains and adhesive

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.19.15 AM

hand-polishing the transom

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.21.01 AM

shadow still remains, more work to be done here

I should also mention that in addition to these top seven projects, we’ve also removed two outdated heads (toilets) and installed an Airhead composting toilet and a Jabsco air-lock toilet in their place, reconfigured the anchor locker to accommodate all that new chain, installed a new hose and handheld sprayer for the aft head shower, replaced 80% of the old lights with LEDs, updated the steering pedestal with new electric outlets with USB ports to power our iPad (which we use for navigation), updated the sound system, added digital monitors for the fridge temperature and battery levels, and successfully changed the oil in the injector pump (a big deal for two people who haven’t owned cars since college).

Don’t worry though, we’re still taking time to enjoy the simple pleasures of boat life…

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.17.55 AM

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.18.35 AM

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.20.11 AM